About the Artist
Connecticut artist Mark Maritato has been known for many years as a painter of historical subjects. His large oil paintings and prints of military battles now grace many private and institutional collections around the world.
"I am very thankful to be able to marry my two passions, fine art painting with the study of history and material culture through my artwork."
For decades, Mr. Maritato has brought historical events alive on his canvases. It was his love for art and history that has led Mr. Maritato to pursue a career in fine art. Mr. Maritato formally studied painting and Illustration at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn New York. It was while a student at Pratt that Mr. Maritato first began to paint Civil War historical subjects.
Mark Maritato's paintings are renowned among private collectors and public institutions for their high degree of historical accuracy and attention to even the smallest detail. Every painting Mr. Maritato creates starts with many months and sometimes years of research in order to ensure that the historical details are highly accurate. All of Mr. Maritato's artworks are created using only the highest quality archival fine art materials. Mr. Maritato's academic training comes through in every painting he creates follows in the tradition of the worlds masters of historical fine art. When you purchase an original Maritato Painting, You are purchasing a beautiful very high quality piece of artwork that will grace any home and become an heirloom piece to be passed down for many generations.
Publications and Exhibitions:
Historical Advisor: "To Appomattox" Upcoming Historical Television Miniseries.
Gallery Exhibitions and Shows:
• 2012 - Green County Council of the Arts - Catskill NY - "Undaunted Valor"
Solo Exhibition of Civil War Original Artworks
• 2004-2008 - American Historical Art Gallery - Gettysburg Pennsylvania -
Various Shows and Appearances
• 2003-2006 - "History Meets the Arts" - Gettysburg Pennsylvania
• 2005-2007 - Gettysburg National Military Park Visitors Center & Book Store -
• 2005 - Mountain Top Gallery - Windham NY - Solo Exhibition of Civil War Original Artwork
• 1998-2000 - The Farnsworth House Gallery - Gettysburg Pennsylvania
Publications and Shows:
• Texans at Gettysburg - Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade by Joe Owen and Randy Drais
• C-Span - "The Battle of Chancellorsville 1863" by Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park Historian Frank O'Reilly
• The Union Divided - Union/Confederate War Gaming Boxed Sets - Gordon and Hague War games
• "The Fellers Called him Bill" 3-Volume Book Set by P.J. Kearns
• "American Ride" BYUtv Show
• "The Colorbearers" - PBS Documentary Film
• Wayside Exhibits - The U.S. National Park Service at Manassas National Battlefield Park - Manassas Virginia
• Novel Cover: "Lightning from the West" by Fred Melchiore
• Novel Cover: "Fire Within - Copperheads and the Civil War" by Fred Melchiore
• America's Civil War Magazine - Various Editions
• Gettysburg Magazine - Special Publication
• Civil War Art Magazine - Special Publication
• The Zadock Pratt Museum, Prattsville, NY
• Hunterstown Historical Society, Gettysburg Pennsylvania
• Monmouth Battlefield State Park - Manalapan / Freehold Township New Jersey
• Belle Grove Plantation Museum at the Cedar Creek Battelfield - Middletown VA
• Daughters of the American Revolution - Hudson New York Chapter
• The US Army Soldier Systems Center
• Harley Davidson Inc. - Gettysburg Pannsylvania
• Airliewood Mansion - Holly Springs Mississippi
• Carter House Museum and Visitors Center - Franklin National Battlefield Park - Franklin, Tennessee
• The City of Oswego New York
• The Bayside Historical Society at Fort Totten, Bayside Queens New York
• The Lackawanna Historical Society - Scranton, PA
• SONY - Paramount - New York
Various other corporate and private collections worldwide.